With the new year comes new resolutions. A new diet seems to be the top contender every year. The trending diets for 2019 are as follows:
- The Keto Diet — This is a low carbohydrate, high fat diet. The diet restricts carbohydrates by replacing them with fats, forcing the body into a state of ketosis — when you burn fat instead of carbohydrates for energy.
- Pegan (Paleo + vegan) Diet — This diet is a combination of a vegan diet, which avoids all animal products, and the Paleo diet, which focuses on consuming the types of foods our ancient ancestors supposedly ate during the Paleolithic era.
- Intermittent Fasting — The most common intermittent fasting plan is eating as you would for 5 days and fasting for 2 days. On fasting days, you would abstain from eating except for one small meal of just 400 to 500 calories for women and 500 to 600 calories for men.
- A Plant Based Diet — This diet incorporates consuming more fruits and vegetables and less meat where half your plate should be vegetables, a quarter of your plate should be grains, and a quarter should be protein.
- Mindful Eating — The concept is not a specific diet, instead; you listen to your body and eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full.
After reviewing these popular diets, let us reflect on the definition of the word diet according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary :
~diet – 1 : food and drink regularly provided or consumed. 2 : habitual nourishment. 3 : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason. 4 : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one’s weight going on a diet.
Therefore, the way we eat or our diet is a habit which we have developed over our lifetime. The changes we make to our diet need to become a habit not a quick fix. Yes, you can lose weight on any diet trend; but, if it doesn’t become a habit you will not sustain your weight loss.
In summary, the best diet choice is the diet you can live with and fits your lifestyle. The ultimate goal is to replace an unhealthy habit with a healthy one. Happy 2019!