Spring is great time for new beginnings and a perfect time to revamp your diet. Here are a few small changes you can try to get you started to eating healthier and losing weight.
- Start your day with a healthy breakfast.
- Cut the sugary beverages. Replace the soda pop and juice with water or any calorie free drink and you could lose 1# per week.
- Start walking. The Dietary Guidelines suggest 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- If you can’t avoid the temptation, get it out of the house.
- Stock your kitchen cabinets with healthy low cal snacks.
- Finally, track your progress.
Focus on the positive and all the good things you have.
We’re in the midst of a busy time of year. The exercise routine might change a bit during the holiday, but challenge yourself to stick with it.
KEEP A FOOD DIARY!
The food dairy is the most powerful tool to obtaining successful weight
loss. A study published in the American Journal of Preventive
Medicine showed participants who kept a food diary doubled their
weight loss. The simple act of writing down everything you eat and
drink throughout the day makes you more aware of your eating habits
and how much you are actually consuming. Food journaling makes you
accountable for your consumption and will make you think twice before
you take that bite. Get writing; you may be shocked of what you find
you are eating and that it really does work.
You have to actually THINK SKINNY TO BE SKINNY!!
You have to REALLY WANT to lose weight and be thinner in order to make lifestyle changes. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Start by making a commitment to yourself. You may find it helpful to sign a written contract to yourself that includes your weight loss goal and changes you can make to achieve the goal. In addition, you may find it beneficial to write down your reasons for wanting to lose weight.
- Keep a food diary. This will help you become more aware of what, when, and how much you are eating. This awareness can prevent mindless eating.
- Set realistic and specific goals. Focus on 2 or 3 goals at a time. For example, “I will eat fruit for dessert 5 days per week.”
- Find people who will support you in your weight loss efforts.
- Monitor your progress.
- Reward yourself with non-food items, such as, flowers or a massage.
You will be wearing your skinny jeans before you know it!