One of largest pitfalls to extra calories is added sugar. Extra calories lead to weight gain.
From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442469635
Here are some tips on limiting added sugars while treating your sweet tooth:
- Enjoy fruit, a naturally sweet treat.
- Add to salads, salsas, sauces, toppings and more.
- Snack on fruit and enjoy as dessert instead of candy, cookies or pastries.
- Use fruit to sweeten oatmeal or cereal.
- Drink healthy drinks.
- Switch to water or low-fat or fat-free milk instead of sodas, energy drinks or sports drinks.
- Drink 100-percent fruit juice in moderation instead of sugary fruit drinks.
- Try carbonated beverages with no added sugars or add lemon, limes or cucumbers to water for additional taste.
- Compare foods.
- Read food labels of packaged foods and choose the ones with little or no added sugars.
Just in time for Cinco De Mayo. This recipe is so easy and only 5 ingredients.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- chili powder
- small jar of salsa
- 3/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
Place chicken breast in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Season with chili powder and cumin. Spoon salsa on top of chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
Makes 4 servings. 191 calories and 3 grams fat per serving.
I came across a recipe for Shirley Temple Cupcakes and thought is was the cutest idea. Of course, I had to make adjustments to make it as low calorie as possible. Also, it needs to be quick and simple; therefore, the cake version.
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 can diet 7-up
- 16 maraschino cherries
- 4 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1- 8oz tub frozen fat free whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip Free)
- pink sprinkles (optional)
In a bowl, beat together cake mix and diet 7-up on low speed for about 1 minute. Save 2 Tbsp of batter for reserve.
Pour the remaining batter in a 13″ x 9″ cake dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
Mix the reserve batter with 2 Tbsp of cherry juice and 2 drops of red food coloring; swirl it into cake with a knife.
Bake @ 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Let cake completely cool.
Meanwhile, mix 2 Tbsp cherry juice in thawed whipped topping and evenly spread on top of the cake.
Decorate with cherries and pink sprinkles.
Yummy!! This cake is absolutely fabulous!
Makes 16 servings. Only 168 calories per serving.
Pool season and summer vacation is fast approaching! Are you ready to wear your bikini?
Summer is quickly approaching and there is plenty of time to shape–up and look great in your bathing suit. While we want to strive for healthy habits all year, now is the time to get serious. This leaves you with two options to shed any unwanted weight.
- Cut Calories
- Pump up the Exercise
- Take a close look at your plate of food. You may see that your portions are larger than they need to be. Try eating only half of your food at meals.
- Eat more fruits and veggies. They are high in nutrients and fiber and low in calories. Instead of reaching for the bag of cookies, have a piece of fruit. Try some carrots and hummus, rather than chips and dip.
- Drink more water. Water helps with digestion, makes you fill full and
maintains hydration to boost metabolism. Replace high calorie sugary drinks
with water to enhance weight loss.
- You need to get 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day to help achieve wanted weight loss.
- Walk the treadmill for 30 minutes while watching TV.
- Choose to bike ride or roller skate as a family activity.
- Vacuum your carpets or scrub the floors.
- Walk once around the grocery store before you start shopping.
- Get moving!!
Remember, just do it!!
Here it is, the GoGirlDiet Smoothie I always talk about. This smoothie is so easy to make, low in calories and no fat. You can drink it for a snack or you can have it for a quick breakfast and it so delish. As they say, “it’s the bomb”! The recipe makes 2 servings to save some for later or you can cut it in half to make 1 serving.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Dannon Light & Fit nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups frozen whole strawberries, slightly thawed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Just blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into a glass. Yummy! Makes 2 servings. 1 serving= 145 calories, 0 fat, 20 g CHO, 3 g fiber, 8 g Pro, 30% calcium.
I LOVE THIS DESSERT!!! And it is super easy !!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 can diet cola
In a bowl, beat cake mix and diet cola for 2 minutes. That’s it! Do Not add anything else. Pour into a 9″x11″ baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. Let cool. Ice with fat free Cool Whip. Refrigerate. Makes 12 servings @ 180 calories per serving. ENJOY!!