WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 Cups Skim Milk
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
WHAT TO DO:
Mix all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Then simmer for 1-2 hours or until thick. Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 6- 1/2 cup sevings.
NUTRITION INFO: 1 Serving
- 130 Calories
- 0 Fat
- 25 grams Carbohydrate
- 5 grams Protein
My new snack passion is Edy’s Outshine Coconut Waters. They are refreshing! Have zero fat! And only 60 calories!! They come in 2 flavors!
Coconut Waters with Banana
Coconut Water with Pineapple
One of my very weird food cravings is old-fashioned oatmeal. Who else but a dietitian would have such a healthy food craving. Oatmeal is actually a comfort food for me; especially, on cold winter days. It reminds me of childhood when my mother would make a bowl of oatmeal before school. I would sit in front of the television watching Captain Kangaroo while eating my bowl of oatmeal.
In addition, I love the feel of the warm texture and flavor of oatmeal. Again, I love, love, love the texture of oatmeal. Furthermore, oatmeal is so easy and fast to prepare. Place 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1 cup water in a large mug and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Then, I usually stir in skim milk and a touch of brown sugar or honey. Now, it is ready to eat.
What is oatmeal? Oatmeal is ground oat groats.
What are the health benefits? Oatmeal has a high soluble fiber content which helps lower cholesterol. Oatmeal is also sodium free.
What is the difference between rolled oats and steel-cut oats?
- Rolled oats are oats that have been steamed and rolled flat.
- Steel-cut oats are oats that have been sliced into small pieces. They take much longer to cook and have a nutty robust flavor.
- Instant oatmeal has added sugars and is high in sodium.
Read more on preparing a perfect bowl of oatmeal BestBowlofOatmeal
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 small box reduced calorie vanilla pudding
- 1 cup liquid egg
- 1/2 cup lite applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
For The Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powder sugar
- 2 Tbsp fat free sour cream
- 1 tsp water
How To Make It:
Beat all ingredients except the apples on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in apples. Pour into 10-inch tube pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 15 minutes and invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.
How To Make Glaze:
Whisk together powder sugar, sour cream, and water. Drizzle over cake and let stand until glaze is firm.
Makes 16 servings. Only 152 calories per serving! Yum!!!
October 4th is National Taco Day!
Tips to make healthier taco’s and save calories with these simple food swaps:
- Use fat free sour cream instead of regular sour cream. You will save 30 calories + 6 grams of fat per 2 Tablespoons.
- Replace regular beef with extra lean ground beef and you will save 230 calories + 30 grams of fat per 4-oz serving.
- Replace a regular flour tortilla with a low carb whole wheat tortilla to save 80 calories .
Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer and the official kickoff to cook-out season! This doesn’t mean you have to sabotage your waistline. You can still have fun and eat healthy. Here are some of go girls tricks.
- Always bring the low cal appetizers like raw veggies with a low fat dip, fruit salad, or a healthier version of a side dish.
- Try to stay away from the high fat meats, such as, hotdogs, sausage, or ribs. Choose the grilled chicken or even a small or half a burger.
- Take only 1 starchy side, like potato salad, macaroni salad, pasta salad, or baked beans.
- Have fruit for dessert.
- Stay away from the sugary drinks. Instead choose diet drinks or bottled water.
- Limit your alcoholic beverages. To save calories use diet soda or seltzer water for mixers and lite beer is the better option.
- Most importantly start the day with exercise. Take a power walk or bike ride in the morning. You will actually feel more energized for the rest of the day.
I came across a copy cat recipe for a Wendy’s Frosty on Pinterest. I tweaked it to make it fat free and low calorie. The final product is amazing! Tastes just like a real Frosty.
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons low calorie (sugar-free) chocolate instant pudding
- 2 tablespoons Cool Whip Free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Pour in a glass and freeze until it has a frosty consistency. Makes 1 serving; 130 calories and 0 fat.
Here it is, the GoGirlDiet Smoothie I always talk about. This smoothie is so easy to make, low in calories and no fat. You can drink it for a snack or you can have it for a quick breakfast and it so delish. As they say, “it’s the bomb”! The recipe makes 2 servings to save some for later or you can cut it in half to make 1 serving.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Dannon Light & Fit nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups frozen whole strawberries, slightly thawed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Just blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into a glass. Yummy! Makes 2 servings. 1 serving= 145 calories, 0 fat, 20 g CHO, 3 g fiber, 8 g Pro, 30% calcium.