Here it is, the GoGirlDiet Smoothie I always talk about. This smoothie is so easy to make, low in calories and no fat. You can drink it for a snack or you can have it for a quick breakfast and it so delish. As they say, “it’s the bomb”! The recipe makes 2 servings to save some for later or you can cut it in half to make 1 serving.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup Dannon Light & Fit nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups frozen whole strawberries, slightly thawed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Just blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into a glass. Yummy! Makes 2 servings. 1 serving= 145 calories, 0 fat, 20 g CHO, 3 g fiber, 8 g Pro, 30% calcium.
Here at GoGirlDiet.com the motto is to “Eat your cake and lose weight too”. That also means halloween candy. Who doesn’t enjoy raiding the kid’s halloween bag or want piece of candy from trick-n-treat night. But we don’t want to sabotage the diet either. Here are some picks for 100 calories or less (pay attention to package size):
- Almond Joy (snack size) -80 cal
- Butterfinger (fun size)- 85 cal
- Nestle Crunch (fun size)- 90 cal
- Hershey Kiss (4)- 100 cal
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup (snack size)- 110cal
- Whoppers (10)- 100 cal
- Jolly Ranchers (3)- 70 cal
- Smarties (1 roll)- 25 cal
- Skittles ( 1 fun size bag)- 70 cal
- M&M’s ( 1 fun size package) -100 cal
This cake is to die for and half the calories and fat than the original recipe.
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package devil’s food chocolate cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Sprinkle marshmallows into a 13″ x 9″ baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, peanut butter, applesauce and egg. Beat on medium for 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour over marshmallows and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Makes 12-15 servings.
NUTRITION INFO ( 1 serving: 1 piece): 228 Calories, 9 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 0 chol, 349 g sodium, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein
It is true! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It literally is the ‘break’ from the over night ‘fast’. Multiple studies have shown that breakfast skippers have a higher body mass index (BMI) than non-skippers and breakfast consumption is associated with a lower body weight. Here are two of my favorite breakfast meals.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 whole grain lite english muffin
- tomato slices
Pour egg substitute in a bowl coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on high for 1 minute. Meanwhile, toast english muffin. Place cooked egg topped with tomato slices on english muffin. Voila! Only 135 calories and zero fat.
Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup skim milk
Cook oatmeal and milk in a large mug on high for 1-1/2 minutes and stir. Voila! You may flavor with splenda and cinnamon. Only 240 calories and 3 grams fat.
GRAB & GO BREAKFAST
No time to spare in the a.m. Here are some healthy breakfast choices you can eat on the run.
- High fiber poptart.
- Low-fat yogurt drink.
- Banana or apple.
- Instant breakfast drink.
- Handful of nuts and raisins.
- Cereal bar.
If you enjoy a summer cocktail with friends at poolside or on vacation try these low calorie versions of your favorite drinks.
- 2 oz. rum
- 1 oz. lime juice
- 4 strawberries
Blend all ingredients in blender.
- 8 oz. cyrstal light lemonade
- 1 oz. grape vodka
Stir and serve over ice.
- 1.5 oz. orange vodka
- 1.5 oz. Oceanspray sugar free cranberry juice
- splash of lime juice
Shake all ingredients in shaker with ice. Pour into glass.
I just got back from my road trip to Myrtle Beach. Here’s some quick tips for snacks on the road.
- Instead of letting your fresh produce rot while you are away, pack it for healthy snacks.
- The same goes for dairy products. I cut the cheese into cubes and packed the yogurts. Don’t forget plastic ware.
- Also, throw in some peanutbutter and wheat crackers instead of the chips.
- Doesn’t grapes and cheese, apples slices with peanut butter, and strawberries and yogurt sound yummy.
And who can resist the fast food drive thru’s. There actually are some healthy options you can choose. I found the grilled chicken soft taco at Taco Bell for only 200 calories.
Here’s a link for some other snack ideas while driving on the road.
Snacks and Dashboard Dining
Memorial Day always kicks off the summer picnics. This doesn’t mean you have to sabotage your waistline. You can still have fun and eat healthy. Here are some of go girls tricks.
- Always bring the low cal appetizers like raw veggies with a low fat dip, fruit salad, or a healthier version of a side dish.
- Try to stay away from the high fat meats, such as, hotdogs, sausage, or ribs. Choose the grilled chicken or even a small or half a burger.
- Take only 1 starchy side, like potato salad, macaroni salad, pasta salad, or baked beans.
- Have fruit for dessert.
- Stay away from the sugary drinks. Instead choose diet drinks or bottled water.
- Limit your alcoholic beverages. To save calories use diet soda or seltzer water for mixers and lite beer is the better option.
- Most importantly exercise before the picnic. Take a power walk or bike ride in the morning. You will actually feel more energized for the rest of the day.
Here’s the links to my favorite low cal recipes from Kraft foods: