Making healthy during the holidays can be difficult. Here are some tips for a healthy food choices using the plate format:
- Fill ½ of your plate with vegetables, such as carrots, green beans, broccoli, salad, brussel sprouts, or asparagus.
- Avoid casseroles or dishes that have heavy creams, sauces, butter, or crusts.
- If your table is low on vegetables, consider adding fruit to this half of your plate. Cranberries, baked apples, and pears are good options.
- Fill ¼ of your plate with starches such as stuffing and sweet potatoes.
- Other choices for this section may include: mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, or corn pudding.
- Skip the bread or rolls.
- Fill ¼ of your plate with lean turkey slices (approx. 3-4oz).
- Avoid dark meat, including drumsticks.
- Remove the skin from the turkey before eating.
- Instead of gravy, use a fruit-based relish special kick.
Here’s a low calorie pumpkin pie recipe:
CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN PIE
MAKES: 8 servings
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 20
✦ 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
✦ 1/3- cup sugar or sugar substitute*
equivalent to 1/3- cup sugar
✦ 2 Tbsp honey
✦ 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
✦ ½ cup refrigerated or frozen
egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs,
✦ 1 tsp vanilla
✦ ¾ cup evaporated fat-free milk
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch
springform pan. In a medium bowl, combine
pumpkin, sugar, honey, and pie spice. Add eggs
and vanilla. Beat lightly just until combined.
Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into prepared
pan and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
2. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until center appears
set when gently shaken. Cool for 1 hour on a wire
rack. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to
24 hours before serving.
3. To serve, loosen pie from sides of pan by running
a thin metal spatula around the edge. Remove sides
of pan. Cut pie into wedges to serve. Makes 8
servings (1 slice each).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Servings Per Recipe: 8, Calories: 95, Protein (gm): 4, Carbohydrate (gm): 20,Cholesterol (mg): 1, Dietary Fiber, total (gm): 2, Sodium(mg): 59,
Information obtained from http://www.diabeteseducator.org/export/sites/aade/_resources/pdf/general/ThanksgivingPlateResource.pdf