How perfect for January to be National Oatmeal Month. A big bowl of hot oatmeal is best on cold winter days!
Oatmeal can be easy and fast to prepare. Place 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1 cup water in a large mug and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Then, I usually stir in skim milk and a touch of brown sugar or honey. Now, it is ready to eat.
What is oatmeal?
- Oatmeal is ground oat groats.
What are the health benefits?
- Oatmeal has a high soluble fiber content which helps lower cholesterol. Oatmeal is also sodium free.
What is the difference between rolled oats and steel-cut oats?
- Rolled oats are oats that have been steamed and rolled flat.
- Steel-cut oats are oats that have been sliced into small pieces. They take much longer to cook and have a nutty robust flavor. They have the same nutritional value as rolled oats; however, they have a lower glycemic index.
- Instant oatmeal has added sugars and is high in sodium.