Making healthy choices during the holidays can be difficult. Here are some tips for a healthy food choices using the plate format:
- Fill ½ of your plate with vegetables, such as carrots, green beans, broccoli, salad, brussel sprouts, or asparagus.
- Avoid casseroles or dishes that have heavy creams, sauces, butter, or crusts.
- If your table is low on vegetables, consider adding fruit to this half of your plate. Cranberries, baked apples, and pears are good options.
- Fill ¼ of your plate with starches such as stuffing and sweet potatoes.
- Other choices for this section may include: mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, or corn pudding.
- Skip the bread or rolls.
- Fill ¼ of your plate with lean turkey slices (approx. 3-4oz).
- Avoid dark meat, including drumsticks.
- Remove the skin from the turkey before eating.
- Instead of gravy, use a fruit-based relish special kick.