One of largest pitfalls to extra calories is added sugar. Extra calories lead to weight gain.
From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442469635
- Enjoy fruit, a naturally sweet treat.
- Add to salads, salsas, sauces, toppings and more.
- Snack on fruit and enjoy as dessert instead of candy, cookies or pastries.
- Use fruit to sweeten oatmeal or cereal.
- Drink healthy drinks.
- Switch to water or low-fat or fat-free milk instead of sodas, energy drinks or sports drinks.
- Drink 100-percent fruit juice in moderation instead of sugary fruit drinks.
- Try carbonated beverages with no added sugars or add lemon, limes or cucumbers to water for additional taste.
- Compare foods.
- Read food labels of packaged foods and choose the ones with little or no added sugars.